Sunday, August 23, 2015

The Glasgow Project - An El Nino Phenomena

Glasgow, Montana. Perhaps you have heard of it. Can you find it on a map? I did, but it took me a couple of attempts to locate the weather office.

An interesting tidbit I will be using for the upcoming winter to test just how strong this El Nino could be.

During the 1997/1998 El Nino, the strongest on record so far, The National Climatic Data Center claimed that Glasgow never dipped below zero degrees during the entire month of December 1997, a feat that had never occurred before that time. I am unclear if it has ever occurred since then.

But, I do know looking back at past records from December 2010 to December 2014, Glasgow has had a minimum of 4 days below zero for any December during this time. Why, they even report subzero temperatures by the middle of November!

I must say that Glasgow has some pretty wild swings in temperature as the winter just begins to ramp up. One day they could be some 20 degrees above average and a few days later plummet to near 40 degrees below normal.

Therefore, I will be following Glasgow's weather closely beginning in November, but especially December. I'm curious if such a feat could be repeated for December. I am not optimistic, but I do have other 'barometers' I will be using for this upcoming winter and the potentially record-setting El Nino.

I will be sharing more of those as the weeks count down to our winter of 2015/2016.

MS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tornadoes on Easter Sunday

This is a worse case scenario. Tornadoes and flooded, blocked roadways making for great difficulties reaching residences affecting hard hit ...